Thursday, June 12, 2014

One day in the office of the auction house director

Director: Wow we are making so much money on contemporary art.

Head of art department:
So much money.

D:
I mean more money than I ever thought possible.

HA:
So much more money.

D:
But that’s not to say we shouldn’t make even more money. Is it?

HA:
Not make even more money? That’s a horrible idea.

D:
Absolutely and my gut says that more money would be a good thing.

HA:
Can you even make too much money? Is that even possible?

D:
So how are you going to do it?

HA:
Me?

D:
Yes. I want to make more money and you agreed with me. So what's your strategy?

HA:
Bacon? Warhol? Richter?

D:
No. I mean more money on top of all that money.

HA:
I suppose we could get more people with money to give us… I mean spend more money with us.

D:
That’s brilliant. How would we do it?

HA:
Well, we could focus on people with money who don’t know anything about art and teach them how to spend that money on art.

D:
How would that get us more money?

HA:
They’d spend it at our auctions.

D:
Nice, very nice. But do you think they'd fall for it?

HA:
If we charged them a lot of money I think they would.

D:
Then let’s do it.

And they did.